Setting the Stage

This is where you post your RPs for Warfare, Pay Per Views, and for character development! The deadline for RPs for the current card will be posted in a countdown timer at the top of the forum.
Billy

Setting the Stage

Post by Billy »

The shot opened on the empty stage of Theatre Jean-Duceppe, with its large red curtains drawn closed. The tops of several seats were visible in the scene and all empty. It was dead silent. From the left side of the stage emerged Richard in a plain black suit. He walked to the center of the stage and faced the camera.

Richard : Some time ago in the Kingdom of Drama, there reigned a wise and noble King. Lord Aiden English presided over the people of the kingdom with honor and justice. He provided for them protection, entertainment and sustenance and yet some subjects in the tiny, inconsequential village of Yesington had begun to murmur of rebellion. Being a fair and trusting King, Lord English called the leader of this village Daniel of Yesington to his court to discuss what might be done to please the citizens of the unimportant village. This is the record of the meeting, the tragedy of Yesington and the Quelling of the Insignificant Insurrection.

The curtains opened as Richard exited the stage. A gold backdrop with black accents was revealed. To the right of the stage a throne sat elevated with two steps leading to it. Aiden English sat on the throne, cloaked in a red and gold cape with a crown atop his head. To the right of the throne a man stood with a red tappard with black drama masks down it. He carried a spear in his hand. A similarly dressed man with a scroll in his hands stood to the left of the throne. To the far left of the stage stood a short man with a large fake beard and ragged clothing.

Aiden English : Liam, speak the proclamation of Yesington that I might know their grievances.

Liam : My Lord the people of Yesington send before us their leader Daniel of Yesington. They claim that the King hath let their once great village fall to disrepair. They claim that the King’s taxes are unjust and cruel. They claim that the roads around Yesington are so poorly maintained that traders steer away from the village.

Aiden English : Daniel of Yesington, you come with these claims from your people?

The raggedly dressed man on the left of the stage puffed out his chest and chin to appear larger.

Daniel of Yesington : King English, I do. I come with this grievances and so many more. Our village hath been raided by one nearby. Their leader Sir Skurll is not but a villain who leads his people in unlawful aggressions against others. My village is not the first he has come against.

Aiden English : Sir Skurll hath claimed he bested you in a fair and honorable duel witnessed by a judge of the Kingdom. How do you respond.

Daniel of Yesington : Well sir, perhaps there was a judge in attendance but I was not prepared for the duel. I surly needed more time to prepare.

Aiden English : We shall move forward on your claims of poorly maintained roads. What is wrong with the paths that lead to your village?

Daniel of Yesington : They are too narrow and so poorly traveled that they are hard to find among the fields. Because of this, we no longer receiver visitors or traders from other villages. My people are beginning to believe that the village is just unliked, but I know it’s because of the roads and not because our village is uninteresting.

Aiden English : Is your village still comprised of dull buildings and bland statues? Does thy market still sale only grains and potatoes? Have your people considered adding some sort of entertainment to the village that might draw in passerbys?

Daniel of Yesington : We have considered adding entertainment, only none in the village know what that is! Our market and buildings remain the same for we cannot afford to change them after paying such harsh taxes to you my King.

Aiden English : Let us discuss these taxes, are your people not paying the same as the surrounding villages?

Liam : Actually lord, the village of Yesington pays significantly less than those of surrounding village because they produce significantly less. I know it is too minor a thing for the King to trouble himself with but you lowered their tax percentage last year in an attempt to increase their production. It has not helped.

Aiden English : Daniel of Yesington, what have your people done to increase production with these lowered taxes? Why are they still struggling?

Daniel of Yesington : We refuse to innovate King. Innovation is change and none should ever change who they are to please others. Remain true to yourself and good virtue shall always win out!

Aiden English : Who taught your village such flawed things?

Daniel of Yesington : Why, I did my lord.

Aiden English : I have done what I can to provide for your village and yet your people squander it. I have cast a light upon them by publicly inviting you to my court and still none wish to attend your village because it is bland and boring. I have lowered your taxes in desperation, hoping that the surplus might get Yesington to bring itself up to the level of the surrounding villages. However, you Daniel of Yesington have taught the people to be below average and accept their lot in life. You have made them lazy in leading them to be as pitiful as yourself. I would suggest that the village reconsider their leadership if they wish to survive the coming winter. A full tax rate shall be reinstated to insure that Yesington is not treated unfairly among the villages of the Kingdom. For your slights against the good name of Skurll, he shall be entitled to further plunder from your lost duel. Have you any questions Daniel of Yesington?

Daniel of Yesington : I told my people you would not see reason! The people of Yesington shall rise against you and your unjust Kingdom! The false king shall be removed from the throne! No my loyal subjects attack!

The stage fell silent, Aiden English stared past Daniel of Yesington. Nothing happened and no one moved. Daniel looked behind him quizzically. Aiden stood up from the throne and walked down the steps to the stage.

Aiden English : It seems your people have wisely abandoned you. For their wisdom they shall be spared the judgement I shall lay upon you this day. Open rebellion against the King is a grievous crime and it shall be punished as such. Daniel of Yesington, I strip you of land and name. I sentence you to a lifetime in the dungeons beneath the keep.

Daniel of Yesington : I challenge you to a duel.

Aiden English : Yes, I thought you might. The failed knight Sir Douglas of Oldtown did the same last week. You shall fair no better. Guards! Bring this man a weapon.

Aiden retrieved a sword from beside the throne while Daniel was handed one from the side of the stage. The two men rushed at each other and locked blades. They parried and clashed. Aiden leaned in after the weapons crossed again

Aiden English : The Kingdom shall learn of your defeat here and know that you were a mere peasant risen above his station. A man who could not lead his people to greatness because he lacked greatness himself. They shall see that you were nothing before and have returned to nothing since.

They broke apart and Daniel took a wild swipe at the King. Aiden English planted the tip of his blade in the ground and laughed as the momentum spun Daniel in a half circle. He planted his foot in Daniel’s butt and pushed him toward the edge of the stage. Daniel stumbled to keep his balance and swung back around. He wildly charged at Aiden with his sword raised high. Aiden brought his own sword up and Daniel tucked it under his arm as though he had been stabbed. Daniel dropped to his knees and made gagging noises. He rolled onto his side and continued to over act his death. Aiden kicked Daniel in the stomach and returned to his throne.

Aiden English : Liam, send word to the edges of the kingdom! Daniel of Yesington is no more. I hath offered him the mercy of irrelevence and instead he begged for death. I hath provided him the death he sought. The village of Yesington is free from their inept ruler and is given the opportunity to select a new one from among their citizens.

Liam : And if a worse man rises in his place my king?

Aiden English : That shall be a problem for another day.

The curtains closed on the scene as the lights dimmed. Then out from the curtains stepped Aiden English. He took center stage and bowed as the camera faded to black.
Shaul Guerrero
*EBWF Women's Champion (x2)*
*2019 & 2021 Women's Royal Rumble Winner*
--------------------------
Aiden English
*EBWF World Champion (x3), Gateway Champion, Breakout Champion (x2)*
*2019 King of the Ring and Royal Rumble Winner*