Are We Seeing The Last of Cena?

Holly

Are We Seeing The Last of Cena?

Post by Holly »

PWInsider.com
By David Scherer

Is this the beginning of the end for John Cena?

It is a question many are asking since Cena, in an admittedly surprising turn of events for many, finally lost his Intercontinental Championship to Evan Bourne on the February 17th episode of EBWF Warfare after holding the title for just a few days shy of an entire year.

Many are claiming this loss is proof that Cena is on his way out the door and that it is an indication that Cena has decided not to renew his contract with the EBWF, which expires at the end of April of this year. Many are speculating the Cenation leader will choose to retire but there is also the possibility that Cena could jump ship and take his talents elsewhere such as making his big return to the company that originally gave him so much of his fame and fortune, in the WWE. This could be a very wise, and profitable, career move for Cena considering the recent resurgence the WWE has seen, primarily due to the introduction of the soon to be unveiled, WWE Network. Many are claiming this could once again lead to a true ratings war between the two biggest companies in the professional wrestling and sports entertainment industry today and there is no denying that if the WWE were to obtain Cena as its newest talent that could potentially continue to hurt the EBWF.

As of February 7th, Cena passed Kobe Bryant to become the most-liked active U.S. athlete on Facebook with more than 18.6 million followers and with his steadily growing music production company, his reportedly very successful and well-liked diet and exercise program ChangeTime, his “Never Give Up” clothing line offered at Kmart locations nationwide, his affiliations with numerous charities and other investments there is no denying Cena truly does have a “nation” of followers ready to back him, and follow him, should he change employers.

No doubt the spotlight has been on Cena recently. Already in the year 2014 The Chaingang Commander became the longest reigning champion in the history of the EBWF, there was a media frenzy when it was revealed that Cena is currently in the middle of a bitter ongoing divorce with wife and EBWF photographer Danielle Costa, The Champ granted his 400th wish with the Make-A-Wish Foundation, more than any other celebrity ever, officially making him the most requested celebrity in the charity’s history, and of course rumors of his contract negotiations with Wes Ikeda have been running rampant.

The average age of retirement from professional wrestling is 36. Cena will turn 37 on April 23rd. On the subject of retirement Cena has gone on record as stating the following in an interview conducted by Good Morning America just over one year ago:

“When I feel I have accomplished all I can, when I feel that I have nothing left to give, I will walk away. Whether I want to or not, when your time is up, it’s up, and you always know it. You can feel it. And, as painful as leaving this industry, this life, will be for me, when that day comes I will accept it and move on. It will be my job then to pass the torch, not try to continue on in the race with bitterness and denial. I only become a liability and a hindrance at that point and I will not let myself be either. I fear that day, but I know it is coming nonetheless, and I just hope that when I leave that ring for the last time I will be able to do it with my head held high, knowing I gave every second of my journey my all, my everything. I want to end that chapter knowing that I accomplished everything I set out to and that I’m leaving my company, my home, with so many other bright stars ready to step into my place that have the heart and determination to go above and beyond every predecessor that came before them.”

With these possibilities in mind, many will be paying extra close attention to Sunday’s main event at EBWF Fallout when Cena defends his remaining Path To Glory Championship against “The Miz,” Mike Mizanin. The result of that match could potentially be very telling in regards to Cena’s future with the EBWF, and the world of professional wrestling and sports entertainment itself.